Votebeat, the nonprofit news organization created by Chalkbeat to cover local election administration and voting access, seeks an engagement editor to grow our audience and strengthen our relationship with readers.
Votebeat’s journalism aims to inform the debate around voting and make an impact by spotlighting problems in elections and the politicization of voting, and by pointing toward solutions. Because the decision-making and preparations for elections are constantly ongoing, we treat this coverage as a year-round beat.
As Votebeat’s founding engagement editor, you will lead our growing newsroom’s efforts to better understand the news needs of our core audiences (local and state election administrators, elected officials who influence and set election policy, and concerned voters and community members), elevate the voices of our readers, build stronger relationships with communities that need critical information about how elections are run, and expand our reach to inform as many people as possible about key developments.
This position will report to the Director of Audience and will work closely with Votebeat’s Editor in Chief. The job will likely be home-based but may have access to an office if located in a city where Votebeat/Chalkbeat maintains a bureau.
Who you are:
You are a strategic editor and thoughtful leader who can help guide a growing newsroom. You have a strong commitment to local news and you care deeply about the needs of readers and communities. You are a coach to reporters and editors on audience and content strategy. You have experience building and engaging audiences on social media and growing newsletter subscribers. You know how to craft strong headlines, tweets, and subject lines with audiences in mind.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Leading audience strategy for Votebeat’s three local bureaus
- Developing newsletter strategy and subscriber list growth initiatives
- Guiding the newsroom on SEO and content strategy
- Maintaining partnerships with local and state news organizations
- Supporting local bureaus with strategies for events and engagement-driven reporting that elevate voices from the communities we serve
- Leveraging analytics to develop best practices for growth and engagement
Your skills and background:
- 5+ years of work experience, with at least three years in audience roles at news organizations
- Familiarity with Google Analytics or other analytics platforms
- Proficiency with third-party email service providers
- Deep understanding of SEO best practices
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong news judgment
- Passion for political participation and civic health; knowledge of election processes is a plus, but not required.
This is a full-time position with benefits. This is a full-time position with benefits. Votebeat offers a competitive salary in the range of $80,000–$90,000, negotiable based upon experience. We also offer a generous benefits package, including:
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- 20 days of PTO and a paid winter recess from Dec. 26-31
- 401k matching program
- Paid parental leave
Our virtual newsroom features daily interaction, social Slack channels, personal development sessions, and team exercise and meditation get-togethers.
Our organization is committed to antiracism, and our staff is taking part in ongoing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging work.
To apply, complete the submission form at the bottom of this page.
Votebeat is the nonprofit news organization created by Chalkbeat, originally as a pop-up newsroom in 2020 and now relaunching as a permanent network. We are committed to providing local coverage about how elections work and holding public officials accountable for fair access to the ballot box. Read more about our mission, vision, and values.