Republish Our Stories
Unless otherwise noted, Votebeat stories are free to republish through a Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 license. Simply click the “Republish” button on the story you’d like to republish and follow these additional rules:
- You may not edit the story except to reflect updated references to time (e.g., modifying “today” to “yesterday”), location (e.g., changing “here” to “New York”), or editorial style (if your publication uses honorific titles, for example).
- If you publish the story online, include all of the story’s links.
- Include a byline using the following format: by [Firstname] [Lastname], Votebeat. For example: by Jessica Huseman, Votebeat.
- Please include this line at the top of the story: “This article was originally published by Votebeat, a nonprofit news organization covering local election administration and voting access.” The words “originally published” must link back to the original post on our site.
- When including the link to the original story, please update the link URL to include rel=”canonical”. For example: <a href=”URL” rel=”canonical”>Story headline</a>
- Any photos or other media credited to Votebeat may be republished as long as you provide proper credit. You may also run your own photos with the Votebeat story. Media from third-party organizations (e.g., Getty Images) require separate permissions from them directly. You are solely responsible for identifying and licensing third-party content. Votebeat expressly disclaims any liability arising out of your unauthorized use of third-party content.
- At the end of the story, include the following line, as seen in the HTML and plain text: “Votebeat is a nonprofit news organization covering local election integrity and voting access. Sign up for their newsletters here.”
- For print outlets, the above rules apply except for embedding links. Include our main url — votebeat.org — in the line at the end of the story: “Votebeat is a nonprofit news organization covering local election administration and voting access. Sign up for their newsletters at votebeat.org.”
- If you republish our content in print, please let us know and show us a copy. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Votebeat is not responsible for content found on blogs, platforms, or websites that reblog or repost content by Votebeat. Votebeat does not endorse blogs, websites, bloggers, journalists, or writers who reblog or repost works available on Votebeat. Votebeat does not compensate bloggers, journalists, or writers who reblog or repost works by Votebeat. Votebeat is not responsible for any mistranslations of Votebeat content.
- Please note that Votebeat considers the publication date to be the date marked on the story.
- If you share the story or a link to the story on social media, please tag us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.